A little prayer journey and prayer book… I hope you might make one, too… 🙂
I have loved being able to spend more time praying with my children since beginning to homeschool. It has been a blessing beyond measure.
– We began this homeschool journey last year praying without any guide or plan. We just kneeled around a big ottoman in our family room each morning and prayed. We were no longer rushing off to school, and we had time! (Dad leads us in family prayer time each night.)
– Then I tried to help my big kids loosely follow the ACTS prayer only because I wanted them to learn to do more than ask! I made them bookmarks for their Bibles. You can print an ACTS Prayer Bookmark below.
– Our next step in this prayer journey was to try a prayer box with cards. I thought it would be great to make “praise” cards and “supplication” cards and others and pass them out each morning. Whew… this was not for us. Parts, cards, passing out, etc… did not work with my four monkeys!
– We did away with our prayer cards and just took turns praying. The sad truth is that I often forgot to pray for everyone that I intended to!
– I decided to write down our prayers in a journal. A prayer journal helps me, so I thought it would work for prayer time with the children, as well.
– I wrote down all of things and people we wanted to pray for each day! It was working well… no parts to keep up with, no forgetting. We just added our own confession, praise, thanksgiving. The only problem was, one of the littles couldn’t read it! So…
– I let the little kids draw a few pictures for the prayer book. I cut white rectangles that would fit on a journal page, and then I asked them to draw!
– Then I saw a “prayer jar” post at Happy Home Fairy. Isn’t this CUTE?!
– I knew that sticks wouldn’t be practical for us, but I decided to do a pictures-in-a-book-version of this adorable prayer jar. Everyone could participate. Everything is contained. YAY!
– Here are few of the PRESCHOOL sample pages from the prayer book. The big kids just use words and no pictures. 😉
We pray for friends…
I’ve asked friends from church who are sick or need jobs or undergoing therapy to text me pictures. We printed them for prayer for friends pages.
We pray for our leaders… (The “leaders” pages actually help the big kids, too!)
We pray for our farm…
We pray for our church, all of our mommy friends who are expecting babies, and all of the mommies we know with new babies. We pray for our homeschool! We pray for extended family. We pray for those who are sick. We pray for houses to be sold and jobs to be provided. It has been wonderful to rejoice with my children when prayers are answered!
The written pages for the big kids are more detailed, but the simple preschool prayer pages allow even my pre-reader a chance to participate in our prayer time, too!
Of course we always have prayers that are not in the book, things the Lord has placed on our hearts each day…
“Dear Lord, I pray for Momma to have another baby– twins.” (!!!!!) ~Mary Sorrels, 4 yrs
“Thank you, dear Lord, for all of my bones. I like them.” ~Jack, 4 yrs